BookTubeAThon has just ended and I’m signing up for another readathon straight away! #TheReadingQuest is hosted by Aentee @ReadatMidnight with help from CW of Read, Think, Ponder who is the artist behind all the adorable illustration!
#TheReadingQuest is a reading adventure based on a video-game quest, and in the challenge, we’ll be embarking on a journey to conquer your TBR pile through a series of stages. We’ll read new stories, gain experience, and level up a character of our choosing.
The quest will take place between Sunday 13th August to Sunday 10th September, 2017. The signup form is open until Sunday 13th August!
I decided to choose to play as the Rogue to start me off in the challenge. I chose the Rogue because the challenges in their quest appealed to me the most!
The Rogue completes the “Fifth Across” Quests, aka everything on the bottom row. I thought the challenges were really interesting and I was excited to give them a go. Also, lots of them fit in well with the uni reading I have going on over the period and I think it’s always nice if I can incorporate my uni reading with my “pleasure reading”.
Without further ado, here is the books I plan on completing for the quest. I’m hoping to also get another character done, but I’ll just put my tbr down for The Rogue because thats the minimum I want to complete at least.
A BOOK WITH A ONE WORLD TITLE:
My choice: Release by Patrick Ness
I’ve been meaning to read a Patrick ness book for the longest time, so when I found a hardcover of Release for really cheap I snatched it up. I’ve heard so many good things about Release, and also Patrick Ness in general. It’s also #ownvoices for the gay representation.
On a side note, I’m totally engrossed by this cover and when I realised there was two faces forming the path thing the boy is walking up I was shooked.
A BOOK PUBLISHED BY A SMALL PRESS
My choice: Carousel by Brendan Ritchie
This is a book I’m really excited for because its set in Western Australia which is the state I live in. I believe it’s a dystopian series, featuring Australian teenagers and I’m really excited to give it a go. It’s published by Fremantle Press which is a TINY press.
A BOOK WITH UNDER 500 RATINGS ON GOODREADS
My choice: UFO In Her Eyes by Xiaolu Guo
This book has 366 ratings on Goodreads as of me typing this right now, so it just slides under the 500 limit. This is set reading for my uni course, but I’m actually really excited for it. It’s a satirical piece about Communism in modern China (it’s set in 2012) and is ownvoices.
I’m pretty sure some of it is told in interviews and things similar (don’t quote me though I don’t know!!) but if it is, thats a format I usually enjoy.
A BOOK COVER WITH A PARTIALLY OBSCURED FACE
my choice: The Interrogation of Ashala Wolf by Amberlin Kwaymullina
This is actually the prompt I had the most trouble with because I don’t really have many books with people on them on my TBR. I went with The Interrogation of Ashala Wolf in the end, which is an ownvoices dystopian novel following an Indigenous Australian girl with special powers who is captured and must escape to protect her tribe.
This is also on my diversity bingo tbr so getting down another book for that makes me happy as well.
A BANNED BOOK:
my choice: To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Without really trying I’ve actually read quite a lot of banned books? I was reading the Goodreads List dedicated to popular banned books and so many of them were highschool reading I was kind of surprised. ONE book I’ve been meaning to read .. forever .. and that was banned is TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD.
I own a copy of this and I keep telling myself I’ll read it soon and I haven’t yet so here’s my chance.
As with all my previous reading challenge, this Quest comes with an additional competitive element. Keeping scores and leveling up is entirely optional, but if you want to be eligible for the prizes, you should be keeping scores.
- All characters will start off with 10 Experience Points (EXP), and each book (in any format: physical, eBook, or audiobook) they complete for the Quest Board will add another +10 EXP. The exception are graphic novels/manga, which will give +5 EXP.
- The exception is for books written by marginalised authors. These books will earn your characters bonus EXP. For each book completed for the Quest, you will gain +20 EXP.
- Adventurers who complete their character’s quest before the challenge period will earn a +50 EXP. You will earn an additional +30 EXP for any additional character quest you complete after that.
- Because I am not interested in employing polynomials or convoluted equations for a reading challenge, I’m going to go ahead and say your character will level up with every +50 EXP. They all start at Level 1.
- All characters begin with 10 Health Points (HP). Every 10 pages you read during the Quest will give you +1HP. The exception are graphic novels/manga, which will give you +1HP every 20 pages.
- Tweeting on #TheReadingQuest hashtag (with meaningful tweets about your current reads, roleplay with your current character, book recommendations) will earn you +1HP each. You can have a maximum of +20HP from Social Media interactions
- Photos of your #TheReadingQuest books or TBR pile will earn you 1HPeach. This contributes towards the maximum of +20HP from Social Media interactions mentioned above.
- We will catalogue the points at the end via a masterpost, and find out who The Quest Champion is! This requires all participants interested in the prizes to link up in the Masterpost at the conclusion of the Quest!
And thats my tbr for this challenge, and the rules! I’m so so excited for this challenge, I love the videogame theme and the prompts used. I’m also going to be making a spreadsheet where I will be logging my read books and tbr for other characters.
Who else is doing #TheReadingQuest??